Candy Lunch Bars

November 9, 2009 at 11:11 am 18 comments

If you’re getting hungry for some lunch soon, I thought you might enjoy these. Don’t worry if you’re a little short this month, three cents is all you need to enjoy a delicious Lunch Bar (1949). And if you have a nickel, perhaps you’d prefer the Chicken Dinner (1947) or the Denver Sandwich (1947). Bon Appetit!

klein lunch bar 1949sperry denver sandwich 1947

Entry filed under: Candies We Miss, Chocolate, Economy, Marketing, WWII to 1960s. Tags: , , , .

Candy Band Aids Ye Olde Candy Shoppe

• 1. Eat More Candy! or not? « CandyProfessor  |  January 4, 2010 at 8:46 am

[...] Candy Lunch Bars [...]

• 2. Gabby  |  February 2, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Boy, wish they would do a remake of the Klein’s Lunch Bars like they do the Cloves, Beaman’s and Black Jack gums every now and then. I would hunt them down and buy lots and lots and lots of them, regardless of price!

• 3. Roberta Cromer  |  June 7, 2011 at 9:08 pm

I miss those Lunch Bars too!!!!!! What a great memory from when I was a kid and they were expensive at that time!!!!!!!!! 3 cents!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 4. Libby Curry  |  August 29, 2011 at 10:05 am

I have asked everyone I know if they ever had lunch bars and they have never heard of them here in the south. But we loved them in Northern Illinois when I was growing up. I would stock up on them too if I could find them!

• 5. Nancy Hungerpiller  |  July 15, 2013 at 2:18 am

I grew up in South Carolina and they were sold in my hometown when I was a kid.

• 6. Ron Miller  |  September 14, 2011 at 9:54 pm

If I remember correctly, the background on the label was green, the letters were red with a white border around them. I enjoyed them growing up in Philadelphia in the 1950′s. They were delicious, what a treat for 3 cents!

• 7. Peggy Chrzan Hedstrom  |  May 6, 2012 at 12:19 am

I have an empty box in real nice condition. 40 -3 cent peanut lunch bars. Going to sell it on Ebay, Wish it was full also !!!

• 8. Denise  |  June 4, 2012 at 12:31 pm

I remember the Lunch Bars. My mom got them to hand out at Halloween. A great memory, too bad you cannot get them anymore.

• 9. Lane Ellwanger  |  June 8, 2012 at 10:20 am

They were my favorite in Minneapolis from the late 50′s through the 60′s. I seem to remember still seeing them occasionally in the late 7o’s and maybe, if I’m not wrong, even in the 8o’s. I would love a few right now. They were good.

• 10. Charlie Peterson  |  October 4, 2012 at 5:04 pm

My husband and I were in the library today and he mentioned them and we went into raptures. He grew up in Pittsburgh and I grew up in Boston. I also would stock up if I could find them. However, if they remade them would they taste the same, Hershey Bars sure don’t.

• 11. George Drega  |  October 9, 2012 at 5:00 pm

George Drega
    I remember my mom giving me a nickel and I would buy a Lunch Bar
    the best piece of candy and so good to eat. What a treat.

• 12. Lavana Cephas  |  November 4, 2012 at 9:49 pm

With 50 cents, I use to buy 3 Lunch Bars (9 cents), go to the movies (35 cents) and see three pictures & three cartoons.

• 13. Kim Fundingsland  |  January 10, 2013 at 2:57 pm

A Lunch Bar and a box of Snaps for 5 cents! Life was really good!

• 14. Barbara  |  April 15, 2013 at 4:04 pm

I have been looking for the Lunch Bars for years. It was my favorite treat to receive in my Halloween bag as a young girl. Why can’t someone bring them back? They were addicting.

• 15. Marilyn Mock  |  September 23, 2013 at 2:34 pm

The best tasting chocolate bar ever!!! I would buy them in the penny candy window at a small store right across the street from my elementary school. What a wonderful memory!!!!

• 16. jparrington@pptplaw.como  |  October 25, 2013 at 10:56 am

Last year I sent my son out trick-or-treating and told him not to come home until he got a Klein’s lunch bar for me. God I miss that kid !!!

• 17. Marilyn Mock  |  October 25, 2013 at 4:25 pm

Do you all remember when penny candy was really a penny??? I guess they can’t call it that anymore–since it costs fifty cents or more and doesn’t taste any where as good as it used to!!

• 18. Chuck S  |  October 26, 2013 at 12:15 am

In Gladwin, Michigan, one old lady on our block would always make us sing 3 songs before we could get our Halloween treat. It was torture to sing, but it was worth it to get her Klein Lunch Bars. We never saw them in the Michigan stores, so we could never figure out where she got them. I finally know they were made in Pennsylvania, thanks to this website! She must have had them shipped to her, because as I said, even in the 1960′s, they were not available in any local stores in my area. I haven’t seen one since I was about 12 years old, which means in 47 years! I actually started to wonder if I had dreamed the whole thing.