News Brief: Sweets and Snacks Expo
Sweets and Snacks Expo 2010 wrapped up this Thursday (5/27) in Chicago. It’s the biggest candy trade show in the world, nay, the universe. Over 400 vendors debut more than 2,000 new products. If it’s candy, it’s at SSE.
Fearless reporters with metabolisms of steel ventured to SSE, and lived to tell about it. Here are their stories.
- Novelist and stand-up candy reporter Katharine Weber talks with the Faith Middleton Food Schmooze (NPR) from the floor of the convention on Wednesday (about 6 minutes into the program). Listen to the sounds of a thousand jaws chewing. Rebroadcast on NPR on Saturday, May 29.
- Candy! Candy! Candy! And also Hello Kitty, Falafel Chips, M&M Totes, and more. Lots of pics at FORMzine.
- Denise Ryan blogging at On Motivation and Chocolate posted a nice shot of the Jelly Belly Mona Lisa, and lots of other views of the Expo exhibits and candies.
- Sugarpressure was there, camera in hand. Check out his sneak peeks at some of the most intriguing, delicious, and hot new offerings coming soon to a vending machine or multiplex near you. Tobasco truffles, Strawberrry Ritter Sport, Mint Peeps, Snickers Peanut Butter.
- “Candy Defies Recession; new Treats Galore at the Sweets and Snacks Expo” by Kelsey Bjelland and Erin Steuber, graduate students at Medill School of Journalism (Northwestern University, Chicago). A+ for this sweet assignment!
- Here’s a run down of the “hot trends” and trendy products as well as 2009 industry overview, from the show’s sponsors over at National Confectioners Association.
- Twitter chitter at #SSE10
- Leor Gale went to the Expo, sort of. Was the travail worth that one piece of Bonomo Turkish Taffy?
- Trend Watch: On the trail of “healthful sweets” at SSE with the Los Angeles Times
- Chicago Sun Times nails a few more trends: “cocktail” inspired candies, candy couture, candy cross-branding.