Butterrrrrrscotch (Callard and Bowser, I miss you)

January 3, 2011 at 10:10 am 163 comments

Each one of us has, I believe, our own personal candy Madeline. Mine is butterscotch. Callard & Bowser Butterscotch, to be precise.

If you’re old enough to think “text” means the stuff they read in church, you might remember Callard & Bowser. This was a line of toffees boxed in cigarette-style packages. The Callard & Bowser logo was a green and purple thistle. I remember a black box (licorice toffee, I think), and a silver box (maybe chocolate toffee?). But the only box I cared about was white: butterscotch. Or “butterrrrrrscotch,” as my father would tease. He wanted me to learn to roll my r’s the way he could.

Callard & Bowser Butterscotch was the flavor of my father’s love. I was three years old. Daddy would bring a box home each week on his way home from the university. And each night, I’d get a piece. The pieces were long rectangles, scored down the center and wrapped in shiny foil paper. The piece marched across the table toward me at the end of dinner, one step for each sip of milk. Finish my milk, and the prize was mine.

I still like milk (hmm, score one for Skinner). And I love butterscotch. It dawned on me recently that I hadn’t seen that C&B box in quite some time.  A little poking around revealed a sad but familiar story: mergers, acquisitions, dropping of old brands, and poof! a classic candy is no more.

In this particular case, the corporate shell game is convoluted. Callard & Bowser was a venerated British confectioner, with origins way back in the 1830s. Today, the only C&B brand of confectionery that is still produced is Altoids, the Curiously Strong Peppermint. Rather than attempt to reconstruct the tragic events leading to the demise of my beloved butterscotch from scratch, I defer to the Wikipedia version of the eviscerating of Callard & Bowser:

Callard and Bowser-Suchard was sold by Beatrice Foods to Terry’s of York in 1982, which was then acquired by Kraft General Foods International/Philip Morris Tobacco Company in 1993. Wrigley’s of Chicago agreed to buy the C&B and Life Savers units from Kraft in November 2004 for USD$1.48 billion after beating out competitors Hershey, Mars, Nestlé and Cadbury. The purchase was completed in June, 2005. Altoids is now owned by Mars, which acquired Wrigley’s in October 2008.

Callard & Bowser is mourned by many as the finest butterscotch to ever have been made. I couldn’t agree more; remembered candies are the sweetest.

Entry filed under: Candies We Miss, Candy Nostalgia. Tags: , , .

Celebrating “Best Blog Food Writing of 2010″ See’s Candy and a Box of Coal

• 1. david klein  |  January 3, 2011 at 11:07 am

Professor—what a great article and boy did this bring back memories. The year was either 1976 or 1977 and a candy distributor by the name of Ragtime showed up for the first time at my candy warehouse…His name was Seymour and he sold me same Callard & Bowser buterscotch . Yes without a doubt the best butterscotch candy I have ever tasted. There was not even a close second….Seymour was a very colorful character who never showed up without his dog at his side…Yes the dog always traveled in his white van loaded with candy. I made Seymour a distributor of Jelly Bellies and I told him that I was giving him a very special price of 80 cents per pound and that he could not tell anybody about this special price. One month later he is at the fancy food show telling the whole world about this special price I was giving him. When he returned I told him that because of his big mouth I would be charging him 90 cents per pound instead of 80 for a period of one year. The 90 cent price lasted for one week. Thank you for bringing these very fond memories back.. Happy New Year Professor..By the way Candyman:the David Klein story will air Jan 11 on the Documentary channel at 8:00 pm eastern..

• 2. Candy Professor  |  January 3, 2011 at 1:30 pm

What a great candy story. Thanks for sharing it. I’m happy to hear Candyman is getting repeat play. It’s a great story and a great film.

• 3. John Lindstrom  |  January 4, 2011 at 5:34 pm

Man alive, I loved old C&B. I sometimes wondered where it got to and assumed it was history. Thanks so much for updating me. You really do have one of the most entertaining and informative blogs.

• 4. Suzi  |  January 4, 2011 at 7:06 pm

But I love Altoids, too! But the C&B butterscotch claimed many a filling. I loved the shape of the little box and the colorful foil, too. A very happy candy memory! Thanks, Prof!

• 5. Pat  |  February 13, 2011 at 4:18 pm

C&B butterscotch was the best! It’s a shame they aren’t still made….I would love to introduce them to my children! They sure don’t make good butterscotch like that anymore…..

• 6. Tricia  |  February 27, 2011 at 1:07 am

It is funny how suddenly one dredges up a memory of something meaningful from the past. For the last couple of days I have been trying to remember the wonderful licorce I loved when I was younger. Yes, it came in a cigarette type box with silver paper. I Googled several names which were way off and suddenly tonight I remembered the correct name – Callard and Bowser. (The truth be told, I only remembered the Callard part; the computer did the rest.) Although licorce was (and still is) my candy of choice, one day I tried the butterscotch and I was in heaven. This candy was so good it hurt. Does anyone know when the last time the candy was produced? I am trying to figure out when I may have last had it so I can erect a suitable monument in its memory. Thank you, Candy Professor!

• 7. Jan  |  March 10, 2011 at 1:14 pm

My favorite was the Treacle Brittle that came in the black tin.

• 8. Spud Chick  |  November 13, 2012 at 9:19 pm

YES! I got a box of this at an airport when I was a kid and fell madly in love. Breaks my heart that things like this aren’t better preserved for future generations, like historic architecture.

• 9. basilissa  |  April 17, 2011 at 10:32 am

I loved everything about this candy — the box, the foil with stripes on the bias, the butterscotch and the liquorice, which I particularly miss.

• 10. Torie  |  April 19, 2011 at 8:20 pm

My boyfriend has been telling me about this candy for years and how his grandmother used to always have it for him. His older sister could only remember “Caldwell” and when I googled that I was able to track down the name “Callard and Bowser” and she said this was definitely it. I wanted to surprise by boyfriend by ordering some and am so upset I won’t be able to! Those candies were a huge part of his childhood!

• 11. Bruce  |  May 18, 2011 at 2:42 pm

This past fall, over the course of several weeks, I tried to remember the name of my favorite candy from back in my youth. My memory of the packaging shape and style finally led me to the name of “Callard and Bowser.” And then to the horrible news that it was no longer available. I assumed it was still available but that I would need to order it from England.

My family would vacation in summers in northern Wisconsin. All vacation towns had penny candy stores. I have always liked butterscotch and on some fateful summer day in about 1960 I bought a Callard and Bowser” packet of butterscotch. From then on each summer I would buy one pack for the week of vacation and then one to take home. Later through the 60′s and 70′s I would see the package in a rare store now and then and I would always buy a package and make it last.

Then. It. Disappeared.

Sigh.

• 12. Diane Richardson  |  May 19, 2011 at 3:00 pm

We lived in Scotland for a year while I was growing up in the mid 60′s. My dad loved these butterscotches, and once in a while I was able to find them in the States at “British” stores. I tried to order him some too and was saddened to hear they are not being made anymore. They were so good. and a sweet treat that I shared with my dad. Wish I still could.

• 13. Robert Mees  |  May 24, 2011 at 5:19 pm

Similar memories. My Scottish grandfather kept his state-bound grandson well supplies with the little foil-wrapped rectangles of gold. Sucked them in the car on the way to church in Washington DC, too. I would search out the silver boxes in British shops over the years, but I have lost sight of them. Callard & Bowser Butterscotch, please say they are coming back!

• 14. Marc Meyer  |  June 1, 2011 at 12:17 am

Damn! Here I thought I’d find these on the web and be able to order up some of my childhood favorite Callard and Bowser butterscotches. Very sad. Does anyone make anything like them?

Remember they used to be at their best when they were a little old, and they developed a softer caramel-textured layer?

• 15. Carole Wyland  |  June 10, 2011 at 12:52 pm

My Father’s favorite candy… he always carried some in his shirt pocket, and always shared. A wonderful memory.

• 16. Black licorice  |  April 7, 2012 at 8:36 am

lol, the same with me, dad loves this since many years back :)

• 17. Juli  |  June 14, 2011 at 10:09 pm

Ohhhh, yes. What a treat; even opening the box with the cigarette-style packaging to unwrapping the silver foil-covered toffees was a treasured ritual. I adored this candy, and miss it still. Great memories, though. Does anyone know of ANY butterscotch toffee that comes close to the taste of my beloved C&B?

• 18. Candy Professor  |  June 14, 2011 at 11:09 pm

Yes please! Time machine may be necessary, I fear.

• 19. Jen  |  January 4, 2013 at 2:29 pm

try Wurbertons original

• 20. Eileen Thorp  |  June 29, 2011 at 8:56 pm

Callard and bowser licorice in yhe silver box with the black writing. Inside the candy came wrapped in silver with black slanted stripes. The best licorice ever made.

• 21. Hanna Wright  |  August 1, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Instead of lamenting the demise of Callard & Bowser Butterscotch here, let us all send protest email to the company that purchased callard & Bowser butter scotch to start producing it again. As a kid, my Mom use to purchase C&B for us kids, whenever she visits England or an upscale department store in any metropolitan city, such as Lagos in Nigeria. Then I grew up and was sent to the U.S to get an Education. Whenever I am going to Nigeria on holiday from the U.S, I always transit through London just to purchase a can or two of C& B Butter Scotch for my Mom. Her happiness knows no bounds whenever I hand her can of Bitter scotch; besides, she ignores every other more reasonable and more expensive gifts that I brought her. But for a little bit over 10yrs now, I have not been able to find any C&B butter scotch anywhere in the world and my Mom has not been a happy grand-ma. She is about 83 yrs old now and she has said informed that, the only thing that she would like me to do for here before she goes to her creator, is to bring her just a can or a park of Callard & Bowser Butter scotch! And that I vow to do! So let’s start a protest email folks!

• 22. Naada  |  August 11, 2011 at 5:18 pm

I loved Callard and Bowser’s. I remember buying them at drug stores and at railway stations. My most favorite flavor was the licorice. The round little individually wrapped pieces of love were my favorite. I have looked for these for years and am sad to hear of the demise of such a wonderful brand. When I heard that Hershey’s had acquired Cadbury, shiver ran down my spine. I have to say the only American chocolate I like is Ghiardelli’s…Hershey’s chocolate is awful.

• 23. robertD  |  August 15, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Licorice, licorice, licorice, C & B Licorice, where are you? Please come back!

• 24. Brigitte  |  August 21, 2011 at 7:53 am

I’d already come across the sad, sad story a couple of years back. In the 70s, I used to blow what meager allowance I had on these butterscotches from the local pharmacy, and never had the discipline to make them last. I’d suck on them until the tastebuds were practically rubbed off my tongue! I’d even try a copycat recipe from scratch, if one existed . .

• 25. Lilliana Torreh-Bayouth  |  October 12, 2011 at 2:15 am

I loved the coffee and also the mint flavoured caramels. I used to buy thm in MOntreal when I was in college. Can we buy the recipe?
    Ltb

• 26. james beasley  |  October 18, 2011 at 4:41 am

life is not worth living without callard and bowser butterscotch

• 27. roman m  |  October 20, 2011 at 8:43 pm

Butterscotch was the best, followed by the licorice.
    I seem to remember that they also had a barley sugar flavor.
    It was not my cup of tea.
    When a chocolate bar cost 10 cents, the C & B was 35 cents, so very expensive for a kid, at the time. But, it was so worth it.
    I hated going to the store and having to decide between licorice or butterscotch.
    I’d buy a case, right now, if it was available.

• 28. Echoes7658  |  July 19, 2014 at 1:47 am

I loved the butterscotch. It was the best and then the licorice toffees which were just super yummy. The other toffees were great too but my favorite and my mom’s favorite was the butterscotch..

• 29. Kimberley  |  October 21, 2011 at 4:55 pm

My mother introduced me to the C&B’sbutterscotch and we both adored it! My mother is dead now and sometimes i look for items, experiences that we shared and enjoyed together . Sad to read that such lovely, delicious candy is no more.

• 30. Eunice Mbarika  |  October 24, 2011 at 11:26 pm

Awesome memories!! My Dad brought us Callard & Bowser-Suchard butterscotch candy from London on each of his trips back home in Cameroon. Now an adult, i have visited several candy stores in different states in the U.S. looking for this specific candy, as well as online, but haven’t been able to find it. Sad to know that it no longer exists. Truly, nothing comes close to this candy’s taste and smoothness in the mouth- awwwwww

• 31. Jen  |  January 4, 2013 at 2:34 pm

try wurthertons originals

• 32. pierrepierpont  |  January 22, 2013 at 12:14 pm

One reader says “Try Wurther’s Originals”. It is not quite the same. In fact following one nostalgic war time advertisement for Wurthers Originals I did a bit of research because I cannot remember them from my childhood. It turns out that Wurthers Originals are made by a German company based in Berlin. So their nostalgic war time advertisement were when they were sending bombers over to Blitz London. No thanks!

• 33. pam  |  October 31, 2011 at 12:22 pm

So glad to hear so many people share my dismay that they can no longet enjoy C & B. I remember them so vividly. We would leave on vacation and my sister and I were allowed to 2 candies each to take with us, mine was always Callard & Bowsers butterscotch & licorice! Miss them! I wonder who has the rites to them now? Wrigley only acquired altoids and lifesavor brands from Kraft from what I have read (Wikipedia), wonder if Kraft still owns it and has the receipe?! I may have to write! Maybe I’ll send them a link to this blog!

• 34. ozy  |  November 4, 2011 at 10:11 am

I also have very fun memories of Callard & Bowser’s butterscotch sweets, but my favourite was the dessert nugget.My sister and I would first eat the rice paper before taking our time to eat the rest of the sweet.Mmmmmm.

• 35. Gareth Bentley  |  November 14, 2011 at 9:57 pm

Sometimes you really don’t want to know the answer. My Dad loved Callard & Bowser Licorice — never touched any other that I can recall. And he knew I loved the Butterscotch. I can still feel it clicking on the back of my teeth. Probably accounts for a number of fillings. It’s a real shame that my kids and grandkids will never experience the best, only pale shadows.

• 36. nick saviano jr  |  November 22, 2011 at 10:53 am

Where can I find the Black Licorice made by Callard & Bowser? It was the best. When I was a kid, I used to buy (2) packs at a time and shove 3-4 pieces in my cheek pretending it was chewing tobbacco to when I played baseball. I fooled some of the guys but then I realized by getting rid of the juice I was missing all the “great flavor”. Where can I find this today?

• 37. Candy Professor  |  November 22, 2011 at 11:10 am

You’ll need a time machine. C&B is no more.

• 38. Kathee Pfalmer  |  November 25, 2011 at 5:23 pm

In searching for this beloved candy I came across your account of the demise of Callard & Bowser. Oh so sad. I had been searching for this divine butterscotch of my youth for years. Ah the ways of corporations. Absorb and destroy.
    Thank you for taking the time to share this information. I guess I will try my hand at homemade butterscotch. It will never compare.
    May all the joy of the Christmas season be yours.

• 39. Sam  |  November 29, 2011 at 1:17 pm

It was a long time ago as a child (with little sister) growing up in Hong Kong – which was nothing like what it is now – I remember buying C&B sweets at the only place I knew that stocked them: a little supermarket at one of the ferry terminals. Dessert nougat, butterscotch, liquorice: heavenly! I sure had a taste of them, now and then, when living in the UK, but of course, it’s a distant memory now.

I remember dessert nougat the most though: the fluffiest nougat with the taste of the jelly pieces, with their distinct flavours doing their little dances in my mouth… and unlike most other nougats the C&B never finished up with a tough little bit left!

• 40. Candy Professor  |  November 29, 2011 at 1:21 pm

Dessert nougat? I never had that, but it sounds like something I’d love. I remember the cheap Brach’s version from “Pick a Mix” here in the U.S., but I’m sure the C&B was far superior! Roman nougat dipped chocolate from See’s is a bit similar, I think, but uses real fruit so you don’t get that nice jelly bite. Any body else who can recommend something along those lines, let me know!

• 41. bilagaana  |  November 29, 2011 at 4:55 pm

Well, that’s the sad demise of a year’s-long quest. Can’t say I’m surprised.

Has anybody found a suitable substitute for the C&B Butterscotch? Brach’s is not even an approximation.

At least Bonomo’s Turkish Taffy is back. Some small comfort.

• 42. bilagaana  |  December 15, 2011 at 4:39 pm

It occurred to me after my original post that See’s Candies makes butterscotch. If you’re not familiar with See’s, they are based in Los Angeles and are famous in these parts for their high standards of taste and quality. You can find them at sees dot com.

They make butterscotch lollypops, drops (Little Pops) and chocolate coated pieces.

I’m not saying it’s a replacement for C&B. See’s Little Pops seem to me closer to a hard candy than the creamier texture I recall of C&B, and the taste is missing a certain intensity which I can’t define. But, it’s an order of magnitude better than anything else I’ve found since C&B’s demise.

• 43. Jen  |  January 4, 2013 at 2:39 pm

try warburtons original

• 44. Sweet tooth  |  December 1, 2011 at 2:48 am

So this is what happens when I search for C&B ButterScotch. I thought it was just me. How I miss this delectable sweet. I used to get my parents to bring it out to me in South Africa–all I ever requested!

Can’t we get a recipe?

• 45. Judy Holmes  |  December 14, 2011 at 5:04 pm

I am distantly related to Daniel Callard. His son Ralph married my grand aunt Harriet.

Daniel Callard married Elizabeth Bowser in 1849, and at the time, and indeed, still in the 1851 Census he is described as a Master Baker.
    It is not until the 1861 census that he is described as a confectioner. So Callard & Bowser was established in the 1850s.

Incidently, his cousin Margaret Callard married Harriet’s brother George B, my grand uncle.

• 46. Candy Professor  |  December 14, 2011 at 9:00 pm

Thanks so much for sharing this. In that era, the line between bakery and confectionery was somewhat mushy; confectionery referred to sugar work, but this could include the fancy cakes or pastries, especially those involving extensive sugar decoration. Nevertheless, in this case the shift seems decisive, away from baking and into sweets.

I wonder if the butterscotch was one of their earliest confections. It might well have been; toffee (the primal form of butterscotch) is easy to make, and the earliest recorded toffee recipes in Britain go back to around 1800. The term ‘butterscotch’ is first recorded in 1855, according to OED, right around the time of your Callard & Bowser shift into confectionery.

• 47. donna dacey  |  December 27, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Were any of their recipes handed down? Show these responses to a candy company and they might be willing to buy the butterscotch recipe. If not, many people, including myself, would love to have it to make themselves.

• 48. Nanette Newton  |  December 24, 2011 at 8:30 am

Wow, too bad they didn’t pass down the recipes to Judy or another family member, guess they didn’t know the company would be resold to so many or missed so much. My husband so loved the butterscotch candies and I was searching to see if I could find any for his Christmas stocking. My mom used to buy them for him all the time, :(.

• 49. Sam  |  December 28, 2011 at 1:56 am

Nanette, supposing the recipe book can be found in the family papers, it may or may not be possible to replicate them: we cannot be sure who actually owns the intellectual property regarding them, even though the C&B brand has been mothballed along with the products, the current owner of the brand would still own the rights to the recipe nonetheless.

• 50. Pete  |  September 19, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Recipes at trade secrets, there is no intellectual property except for branding (names and trade marks).

• 51. Barry Pearson  |  September 25, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Note: Nanette’s comments re actual ownership of C&B work product, may be because, owning rights and actually manufacturing
        this product may impede one’s efforts thus nothing happens? Buying the rights is one thing then, producing again isn’t easy. My background is candy manufacturing and I’ve already considered
        C&B products. One could contract and identify a manufacturer that might make said products under license and also pay a royalty to the formula holder not to exceed a certain percentage could perhaps save the good name of C&B. The exact formula with no
        changes to be confirmed as original product is imperative.

Sincerely,
        Barry Pearson
        Pearson Candy Co. (original makers of the Coffee Nip)
        California

• 52. Tewogbuyi Osikanlu  |  December 24, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Prof.! Thank you for letting me know of my favorite candy’s demise.
    Someone wanted to bring a gift for me from the UK. I requested for
    Butter Scotch or nothing.
    Now I know why I got nothing as a gift.
    That was an excellent write up.

• 53. donna dacey  |  December 27, 2011 at 1:04 pm

I too LOVED that white box and foil wrapped candy. I wonder if anyone has the recipe for it. I would make it myself if I could. That was the very BEST butterscotch ever made. The stuff they sell today doesn’t come close. If any of you candy company people out there are paying attention you should be doing some digging to see about bringing this candy back to market!

• 54. Suzy Goard  |  January 7, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Thank you for your article. I have been searching for this butterscotch candy for decades. I used to buy them at the drug store near my house–I never saw it anywhere else. I was having a difficult time searching because I couldn’t recall the brand name, Collard & Bowser. I remembered the white “cigarette style” box, the foil wrappers, the flat rectangular shapes, and the indescribably delicious taste.

Now I know the story. I had hoped that I could share some of their fabulous butterscotch with my children and grandchildren, but that is not to be. The licorice and coffee were really good as well, but the butterscotch stood out to me as the very best. I see that I am in good company with this opinion

• 55. Melody T.  |  January 15, 2012 at 2:00 am

It seems there are many of us who miss the wonderful candy that goes along with many a happy memory. My mother seemed to always have a box of butterscotch, and I was her feared enemy for if I got my hands on that box it might have been history a lot sooner than the company. I’ve been thinking, looking, and now have the answer and it breaks my heart.

I agree there is no substitute, but I get by with a little Werther’s.

• 56. Maddy Dudley  |  January 24, 2012 at 3:10 pm

I have been thinking of these candies for so long and have been looking for them everywhere – now I am so depressed to find they are no longer made. My mom and I shared the butterscotch candies all the time – when we tried to split them in half, I always wished that one side would be bigger than the other and I would get that one. What sweet memories that remarkable taste brings back to me.
    It’s so sad when such a good thing goes by the wayside. Companies so often buy out other companies just to shut them down.

• 57. Karen  |  February 7, 2012 at 4:48 pm

I remember C&B,great stuff. I have been looking for another butterscotch candy. It was made by Keiler’s or Kieler”s ( not sure of the spelling) They were wrapped in gold foil paper. I think they were made in England. Been there a few years ago. What a grand country!

• 58. Myrna Sinclair  |  February 10, 2012 at 2:08 pm

C&B Butterscotch was with me all my life! Then one day they were just gone. I was born in England, C&B was with me. My family moved to Jamaica, C&B was with me. I spent 1 wonderful winter in Canada during my teens, C&B was with me. Back in Jamaica and when I moved to America, C&B was with me. Then they were just gone! So I asked my aunts still living in England to find me some and the couldn’t. Now I know why. I am so sad. This was the best Butterscotch in the world. Corporate America please listen to us. BRING BACK C&B BUTTERSCOTCH!!!

• 59. Pat  |  February 17, 2012 at 12:08 am

Please bring back C & B licorice in the silver box. Please Please Please! There’s nothing like it on earth.

• 60. Jane O'Brien  |  February 22, 2012 at 12:16 am

I have searched or this candy because my dad always had a box on his dresser and i would sneak it. He couldn’t recall the name and to think it is gone,,, So sad! I would like one last taste beck to childhood.

• 61. Jeff Cotton  |  February 22, 2012 at 8:32 am

Alec Baldwin mentioned C&B butterscotch on David Letterman last night which prompted my search and discovery of this thread.

My wife has been making her century-old family butterscotch recipe (Uncle Zeke’s Old Fashioned Cracked Butterscotch – zekescandy dot com) commercially in the US since 1987. While at a candy trade show in the early ’90′s, I dropped off some samples of Zeke’s at the massive Callard & Bowser exhibit. The C&B execs were so impressed with Zeke’s, they sent a constant stream of co-workers by our little booth for the duration of the show. Many of the execs, especially the Brits raved about how it tasted like the ‘treacle’ of their childhood.

I’d be happy to send samples for your review, just contact me at jc at zekesbutterscotch dot com.

Jeff Cotton
    Chief Confectioner
    Zekes Candy Co.

• 63. Deborah  |  February 23, 2012 at 5:58 pm

I too was reminded of C&B Licorice and Butterscotch watching Alec Baldwin on Letterman. My grandfather used to treat me when he came home from work with C&B Licorice….fond memories of “Poppa”
    Maybe Alec will start a grassroots movement to bring back the two all-time great little candies.

• 64. Bryn Rees  |  February 24, 2012 at 7:31 am

Callard and Bowsers butterscotch, it always reminds me of when we were children in the 50′s and early 60′s going to stay at my grandma in Wales in a little fishing village called Burry Port, my brother and sister and myself all used to buy a packet of butterscotch in the cigarette type pack to suck on the way, it was a ten hour journey in those days in my dads 1937 Hillman Minx and the butterscotch was long gone by the time we arrived.
    I’ve asked at Olde Worlde sweet shops all over England over the years but never found it and now it seems i never will, the shame is my grandchildren would love it as much as i did.

• 65. susan tajiri  |  May 20, 2012 at 11:14 pm

What a lovely post, I had to thank you for your words. I suppose this is another lesson in “nothing lasts forever” that we are all meant to learn. It was a great little piece of Butterscotch and I am so amazed there are so many people have written in about them.

• 66. Bruce Pattison Lunham  |  February 25, 2012 at 8:28 pm

I was looking for this recently at a drug store and I am so surprised that it no longer is made. What a shame as it was the best ever.

• 67. Paula  |  March 5, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Yes, yes, yes. Let me add to the mourning. The Callard & Bowser butterscotch was the absolute best. As a child, my brothers and I would savor each little paper and foil wrapped piece. I so wish it would become available again. But alas, it’s not to be.

• 68. Monica  |  March 8, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Absolutely!
    The Licorice Toffee & Butterscotch were our favorites. When we were little, Mom used to give us one of those little squares wrapped tin-foil type paper, to tide us over on long car rides and we didn’t have a lackadaisical attitude about trying to stuff the whole piece in our mouths, but you really couldn’t put the whole piece in your mouth, because it was just too big, so the savoring part began…

As an adult, I would alternate the purchases several packs/boxes of the Licorice Toffee and Butterscotch. If heaven had a taste, those Butterscotch squares would be the slice of heaven.
    The memories are just oh so sweet.
    Thank you so much… for posting this.
    I did find one place on the internet that had a close substitution for the licorice Toffee – http://licoriceinternational.com/licorice/pc/Creamy-Licorice-Toffee-by-Oatfield-1-2-lb
    Hope this helps out. I may just have to break down one day and try to make a home-style version the Butterscotch squares.

• 69. False Millennium  |  March 8, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Like all others who have written, but especially #12 (we, too were given the butterscotch for church in Washington, D.C. to still squiggling children.) I started thinking about it the other day, and I realized I hadn’t seen it in stores in some time. My (hopeful) assumption was that stores are all selling more limited candy stock (try finding a roll of Life Savers,) and that I could obtain it through a British importer. Sad. Everything about that candy was classic and elegant. Just seeing how many people have responded with such wonderful memories of this treat speaks volumes.

• 71. bilagaana  |  March 8, 2012 at 10:44 pm

Anyone familiar with the Japanese butterscotch discussed here: http://www.justhungry.com/meiji-chelsea-japanese-candy-with-70s-vibe ?

At least one commenter calls it a clone of Callard & Bowser.

• 72. Candy Professor  |  March 21, 2012 at 9:18 pm

I’ve had it. Quite nice, and I would probably think it was C&B if you crumbled it up and blindfolded me. But the C&B experience, as all the commentors make clear, was about so much more than just the candy. As for the Meiji Chelsea: Very pretty package, with the individually wrapped pieces in foil in the C&B spirit. Pieces are flatter and thinner, one bite size, so you don’t have to break anything to get it in your mouth. I remember the C&B as less definitively milky, but then how could I possibly remember something I last tasted 30 years ago? If you like C&B butterscotch, you’ll like the Meiji.

• 73. Barry Pearson  |  March 25, 2012 at 4:58 am

The loss of Callard & Bowser, is one of many others like
    Benson, Scribbons & Kemp, Barker Dobson and more.
    Have you considered http://www.Sugarboy.co.uk they offer
    a high flavored Butterscotch boiled sweet. I’m going to order
    some and hopefully I’ll be surprised. The sweet from Japan
    sounds intereting.

Sincerely,
    Barry

• 74. JAG  |  April 11, 2012 at 5:05 pm

I loved C&B butterscotch and so did my Siamese cat! (Must have been made with real butter.) I always said it was embarrasing to have a pet with a higher IQ than mine, but on this issue we were equal!

• 75. keith r  |  April 14, 2012 at 11:25 pm

Wow, good coverage. Black Licorice came in that silver box, I will never forget. My Mom loved the Butterscotch, too! Oct-Nov 1966, London, Crystal Palace campground. What a sad story of corporate raidership, what a loss to toffee lovers worldwide :-(

• 76. Sue  |  April 14, 2012 at 11:37 pm

II wish they would bring it back ! I was adicted to it. It was just so darn good……I was devastated when I couldn’t find it anymore.

• 77. kathleen doyle  |  April 29, 2012 at 6:48 pm

My mother loved as my sister and i did,Callard and Bowser nougats in their long light blue box!,individually wrapped in silver paper.What a wonderful flavour, what a great pity the company no longer exists.I was only talking to my sister today, and i said i would fin out if they are still in business….sad to say i found out!

• 78. Lorna Cameron  |  January 18, 2013 at 1:05 pm

The Nougat wrapped in edible rice paper was my favourite followed by the Licorice then the Butterscotch sweets. I heve been searching unsuccessfully for them for years. Now thanks to Prof Candy’s article I can cease my labours and mourn their passing. Memories about events I had long forgotten came flooding back as I read replies to Professor Candy’s post. It was lovely to read other peoples memories of eating these sweets and also realise that those who purchased and ate Callard & Bowser sweets valued quality over cost, appreciating truly gourmet products.

• 79. Kate Hampton  |  May 5, 2012 at 7:38 am

I think we need some sort of international law== that imposes a mandatory release of recipes/formulas when a company takes over another and chooses not to make a profit or re-release product. This may make the large companies re-think heritage commodities.

• 80. JJ  |  May 10, 2012 at 4:52 am

I looked for Callard & Bowser B’scotch at the supermarket, then the chemist as a surprise for my darling, only to find ignorance of the product at the info desks and now I know why–what a shame!!!
    Bring them back!!!

• 81. Barry Pearson  |  May 23, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Yes, I remember Callard & Bowser very well and others that have fallen of the candy boat over the years like, Benson’s, Pascal, Wilkenson’s, Scribbins-Kemp and Barker Dibbson. C & B was very
    well presented in its packaging and display efforts. Professional
    all the way. I come from a candy manufacturing family located once in Los Angeles, California and we made the “Pearson Coffee Nips” and eventually the company was sold to Nestle. Perhaps I shoud cinsider making Callard & Bowser and bring it back?
    Sincerely,
    B. Pearson

• 82. Mon  |  May 24, 2012 at 5:15 am

Yes, you should reconsider. Since good old fashion products are sought after by several age groups.
      Your “Pearson Coffee Nips” were handed to me as a child to sit still in church, bide time on long trips, in our Christmas Stockings, tossed into our Halloween bags, piled inside my grandmothers Chinese leaf bowl when you passed through the antiqued smelling intricately wooden laid foyer… Dads glove compartment in the car…

Sincerely, Monica

• 83. Lauren  |  July 24, 2012 at 9:56 pm

My mom’s maiden name is Pearson and her family is distant cousins of the candy company

• 84. Ricki  |  June 4, 2012 at 1:16 pm

Ah yes.. my Mom used to buy these a lot and I can taste them as I type.. Sigh..

• 85. Barbara Madison  |  June 6, 2012 at 2:48 pm

I have a tin box (Callard & Bowser, Ltd.-London) with a Marcus Adams photo portrait of the Royal Family on the lid circa 1934. I wonder which flavor it once contained?

Barbara in Nevada

• 86. Doug Reeler  |  June 16, 2012 at 9:22 am

The recipe has to be somewhere… perhpas some consumer pressure (its called market demand) will do the trick… we could all write to Wrigley’s. Oh i could do with some now. The other big miss in my life is Ultramel Butterscotch Custard, also discontinued… WTF!!!

• 87. DeannaRae  |  June 27, 2012 at 2:04 pm

My hopes are dashed. I was hoping that somehow, somewhere I would run across that white box and be reunited with my true butterscotch love. Alas!!!

• 88. Frank West Midlands  |  July 6, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Hi The flavor I loved best was treacle brittle, Its sad to see one of the best sweet companies go’
    The sweets made by C&B were enjoyed by many childrens over the years.
    Its a pity Mars can’t bring back the old types of sweets so the sweets we enjoyed as Children we can also enjoy in adulthood.
    However I have my doubts as money rules .

• 89. Patti  |  July 16, 2012 at 11:08 pm

Ummmmmm…I get it although this particular “sweetie” was not my passion. Mine was the royal crown sours in a roll. No longer made of course. I happened upon this blog because I found a package of Callard & Bowser butterscotch still wrapped in a white package unopened, unscathed. Anyone interested for nostalgia sake in these?

• 90. Sandy Allsopp  |  December 23, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Dear Patti,

I would be very interested. Please send it. I can pay you what you think is reasonable. my contact details are,
      Sandy Allsopp, South End Farm, Damerham, Fordingbridge, Hampshire, SP63HW, England. tel. +44 (0)1725 518750

Please feel free to contact me anyway. Also, please could you send me a copy of the ingredients on the side of the pack, if you cannot send the pack itself.

best regards,

Sandy

• 91. Alynda  |  July 18, 2012 at 12:14 am

EVERYONE write to the current owners and “demand” we get back our “Callard & Bowser” sooooooo cherished candy BACK!!!! Someone must still have the recipe, right? They have no idea how many loyal customers there are out here.
    My story (other than my husband & I both are addicted to licorice!) is also about an animal. “Sammy” our beloved pet squirrel who shared our lives for 5 whole years. He was brought home by a cat from the park. Only a few days old, no fur and eyes still shut. Our Vet gave a formula mixture and high-potency vitamins and wished us luck. Sam was fed every 2 hrs and intently monitored by our 25# Black male cat- “Pete”. Pete acted as a great surrogate mother; washing Sam and intently licking the formula from his face. (He KNEW – just knew – to never hurt him). You should have seen the look on Sammy’s face when his eyes finally could focus! Hahahaha “YOU big black furry thing is MY mother!!!!” Sammy was a very high-end, picky eater. Loved his granola and fresh strawberries for breakfast. He didn’t like peanuts in the shell. Much preferred the “extra-large cashews” from Frederick & Nelson (ohhhhhh another great store gone by the way side). Sammy would sit on our deck and feed the “wild” squirrels mini marshmallows and the peanuts that were NOT his choice! Tooooooo cute. He even went on vacation with us. ANYWAY……….back to the licorice. Of course it was OUR favorite but……….when chewing on a piece; when Sammy smelled it —- look out!!! He would race up our bodies and grab the yummy licorice right from inside our mouth!!!!! HE loved it too. Sadly, “Sammy” and our licorice toffee is nothing more than fond memories now………very fond! WE HAVE TO GET IT BACK……….Can we all sign petitions or something????

• 92. Mary Stegman  |  December 3, 2013 at 1:36 pm

I have memories of my Dad’s best friend bringing Licorice Collard and Bowser to me in the 50s, Nothing can compare to that special treat, I loved the rectangle box or tin they came in and the way the candies were wrapped diagonal silver and black stripes, the taste was indescribably magnificent. It seems our country has no idea how to make such a glorious wonder for the taste buds. I remember the melt in the mouth with a perfect chewiness, these licorices had a taste of butter, I will never forget the smooth buttery taste also adding to the licorice. I was about 5 then, now I am sixty three and never have forgotten my favorite, all candy is a disappointment that is made in America. So yes I will sigh a petition! and i hope to have a box of these wonders in my old hands again. That’s on my bucket list.
      Mary

• 93. Alliejo  |  July 18, 2012 at 12:47 pm

I join the long list of people saddened by the demise of Callard and Bowser. I’m so gutted I couldn’t buy any online! I used to love the butterscotch and the treacle toffee, all individually wrapped and divine tasting, a real treat throughout my childhood. Can anyone help?

• 94. Rgraves  |  July 29, 2012 at 1:41 pm

I loved, loved, loved the Butterscoth from C&B…also, the treacle and licorice. Miss all three

• 95. Jim Figaniak  |  August 2, 2012 at 4:23 pm

I use to get the butterscotch candies in select stores around Philadelphia about 40 years ago,( 66 yrs old now ). The reason I’m at this site is because I still remember how goos they were & was looking to purchase some on line if available. Oh well I guess the good old days are slipping away.

• 96. Jim Gibbons  |  August 4, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Oh, how I miss them! The cheap, artificially flavored candies around can’t hold a candle to C&B butterscotch. It needs to be made again, the same way, with the same ingredients. We should all write the British Cousulate, or other organization, to get them to lobby for the restoration of a natural treasure! ;)

• 97. Aileen  |  August 19, 2012 at 12:25 am

i am writing from Malaysia. I am so sad to find out that the callard & bowser candies no longer exist. i remember when i was a child, my father had a British captain friend who regularly came to town when he would steer the large freight ships bringing in goods from singapore from all over the world. everytime he came, he would give us children a tin of the callard & bowser butterscotch toffees as well as the nougats. until later on, my parents would purchase them from the supermarket which carries international imported labels. Whenever i read Enid Blyton’s Magic Faraway Tree, and read about the part where they sucked on the toffees, i would also pop a toffee in my mouth, that was the best childhood memories, reading Enid Blyton books with a toffee in my mouth in my favourite part of the house. No wonder i could not find it anymore in the supermarkets. I dont think its only a national treasure, i think its an INTERNATIONAL treasure. Think what a shame and what a criminal act it is to DEPRIVE OF CHILDREN the right to such a wonderful simple perfect pleasure wrapped in those gold foil. If it was in Japan or Korea, it would be deemed an international treasure and it would be handed down from generation to generation as a most prized recipe and treasure and kept alive fastidiously.

The taste is exquisite, its not too sweet like most of the candies nowadays, its a perfect delicate mix of taste, the cream de la cream of toffees. i wish that the royal family had put their seal of approval on it so that it would still be alive today just as other venerable names such as Johnsons & Johnsons.

In the name of commerce, everything else flies out of the window, they would rather preserve tobacco which kills people rather than deprive people of such a lovely simple treasure filled with unmeasurable memories.

• 98. claudia thom  |  October 6, 2012 at 3:25 pm

what can we do to bring back this incredible candy!!!the licorice toffee was my favorite…my dad always brought this toffee home to us kids from a business trip what a great memory!!! what a shame we can’t share this with our kids and grandchilren….

• 99. Stephanie  |  October 8, 2012 at 11:16 am

I want my favorite candy back, nothing on earth compares to it and I think it is the worst decision In the world to stop making it, my heart is so saddened by its disappearance and I would truly pay the price if I could have some today, it is so depressing to me that the world can no longer enjoy it. What a great loss.

• 100. zeze  |  October 11, 2012 at 2:50 am

…seeing everybodys comment is bringing tears to my eyes,memories we all share! Its amazing,like most ppl here,i have been craving for this butterscotch candy wrapped in a golden paper for days now which lead me to search for the brand name on google to see if i can place an order,only to find out this was it, they are no more.I feel so sad,in Nigeria,it was every childs wish to replace sunday-sunday medicine with the butterscotch candy. Too bad they took out something so original.

• 101. lesley galbreath  |  October 20, 2012 at 4:04 pm

iam so sadened by the termination of callard and bowsers licorice toffee. there was absolutely nothing else like it! a genuine classic and a tremendous travesty of it’s demise by these facsist corporate greedy ruthless pigs! the candy was made with pure 100% cream and pure sugar. it said so on the box and the proof was in your mouth! i would always buy it in the front counter of pharmacies. i have been searching the net for an exspensive, pure ingredients, but iam leery of the rest. anyone found a replacement yet?

• 102. lesley galbreath  |  October 20, 2012 at 4:09 pm

i loved the paper/foil it was wrapped in. sexy silver and black! so pretty and it was pure buttery smooth heaven on earth!

• 103. Mike  |  November 12, 2012 at 3:10 am

I am so glad I found this site because I have been going absolutely crazy about this childhood candy my Mom would give me. It was incredible with the flavor and packaging, the butterscotch would melt in your mouth and the licorice chews wow… I so wish I could get a package of them somewhere.

• 104. Gillian  |  November 14, 2012 at 2:34 pm

OKay I am another official lover of C&B hard boiled sweets. I am so disappointed! I loved the mint butterscotch ones that came in silver paper I think. They were gorgeous! I am on board if anyone starts up a petition! I am in Canada and would pay a lot of money (GBP or US exchange) just for another chance at that taste! aaah…..

• 105. Gillian  |  November 14, 2012 at 3:38 pm

OKay I wrote to Wrigleys and this is what I got back:

Hi Gillian,
    Thanks for contacting Wrigley – we always love hearing from our fans and are happy to help!
    We will certainly pass your comments regarding bringing back the mint/butterscotch flavor along to our Marketing and Corporate Development directors. Your point of view, along with any other comments we may receive about this issue, will be carefully considered.
    If you have any additional questions or comments feel free to contact us at 1-800-WRIGLEY (974-4539) Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. CST or visit us at http://www.wrigley.com.
    Have a sweet day!
    Sandy Barnes
    Consumer Care Representative

Perhaps if we have many people do this, they will consider it seriously!

• 106. Candy Professor  |  November 14, 2012 at 3:42 pm

It’s worth a try…especially if some social-networky types can get some Twitter thing going or something…’fraid this blog is about as web-savvy as yours truly gets.

• 107. Sam  |  November 14, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Wrigley, like all commercial enterprises, is in the business to make profit out of their investments. It makes me wonder how much of an investment would be needed to make the C&B products now.

• 108. TiaB  |  November 16, 2012 at 11:37 am

Amazing timing! I was just Facebooking with friends about salted caramel, then butterscotch, then C&B butterscotch and I found this blog. Perfect! Am so writing to Wrigley/Mars. Thanks for the info.

• 109. Phyllis  |  November 21, 2012 at 6:39 pm

C&B so deliciously butterscotch! I am trying to locate a British candy maker that used to sell round chocolate crisp mints(much better than a Nestle’s crunch) and with a mint flavor. They were sold in round clear plastic boxes, candies individually wrapped. I cannot recall the maker. I think they were wrapped in green foil or paper. Have you any idea who it was? Are they still in business. They had the Queen’s seal on the box as well.

• 110. Liz usher  |  February 5, 2013 at 1:30 am

Do you mean Elizabeth Shaw mint crisps? I think they still make them, usually lots around at Christmas..

• 111. pierrepierpont  |  November 23, 2012 at 7:42 am

I used to receive a pack of C&B Butterscotch from my UK Auntie when I lived in Adelaide, South Australia in the 1950′s and 1960′s. When I came back to the UK I was looking forward to buying and sucking some C&B butterscotch but alas, they are no longer made. They were special.

• 112. pierrepierpont  |  November 23, 2012 at 7:50 am

You can contact Kraft foods to register your desire for the resurrection of Callard and Bowser butterscotch and other products by using this link:

• 113. Kathleen  |  December 23, 2012 at 9:51 am

Oh, I am so sad. My father, who will be 80 in June, loved C&B butterscotch. I have been trying to find some to give to him for FOREVER, and now I guess it has gone the way of the Dodo. Damn you, modern age!

• 114. andyo1976  |  January 16, 2013 at 3:56 pm

professor! The memories just came flooding back. I love butterscotch now. As a kid in the 60′s these were not for me. My Great Grandmother had elderly lodgers, one lady in particular had her room off the first floor landing. Miss Miller was in her late 80′s, every time she heard me come up the stairs she called me to her room for a C & B butterscotch sweet and a chat. I suppose the smell of mothballs, powder puff, and sweets that I hated, put me of these beautifully presented tasty little jewels . Love to get hold of them now.

• 115. Mike Abbott  |  January 22, 2013 at 3:33 am

I recall Callard & Bowser from my 1950s childhood, specially their pocket-sized tins of toffees made for Christmas with the lid depicting a snowy seasonal scene. I recall one Christmas saving up my weekly 6 pence pocket money to buy a tin for my brother’s present. C&B’s toffees were of course a year round delight!

• 116. Marilyn Preston  |  February 2, 2013 at 8:55 pm

It was a year or so ago that I feverishly searched the web for Callard and Bowser licorice. My father would bring it to me when I was a child. There has been no licorice that could compare. It came in a silver package with black writing. The recipe can’t have been thrown in the trash. It must be in a safe somewhere. That and the Butterscotch. Hope springs eternal.

• 117. Rgraves  |  March 3, 2013 at 11:06 am

Callard and Bowser candies were the few expensive treats we received from my father growing up — and what treats they were. The Butterrrrrrrrrscotch was the best but so was the buttery licorice and that tooth-cracking teackle. I wonder why the giants of industry have not produced these treats on some limited basis. I would pay twice for these just to be able to have the occasional indulgence. There is nothing on the market that compares to any of them. What happened to the recipes? We can always hope….

• 118. Husker1  |  March 18, 2013 at 3:22 pm

This is sad news as I too have fond memories of these candies. My mom would bring them home from the hospital gift shop and share them with me. They were her favorites. She died in January and as so many memories came forth I recalled this candy and wanted to share it with my children.

• 119. R. J. Dough  |  March 25, 2013 at 10:11 pm

I remember buying Callard and Bowser Licorice Toffee in the cigarette pack type box while in elementary school. I am from Saint Louis, MO, former home of Switzer Licorice Company. I know good licorice and Callard and Bowser was a step above Switzer Black Licorice which I still adore. I was once accused of smoking when a teach saw the box bulging from my jacket. Unfortuantely, Callard and Boswer are long gone as is Switzer Licorice Company. I have never tasted anything close to the flavor of Switzer Red Licorice and Callard and Bowser Licorice Toffee since. It seems the new owners abandoned the old recipes. That’s a real shame. One of my friend’s mother worked the night shift at Switzer and would occasionally bring the so-called factory seconds home in a big plastic bag. These were pieces of licorice cut too short for the package. They ranged from 2-5 inches. Maybe I got accustomed to the freshest licorice available. Regardless, I miss both these products. I only wish confectioners would bring back some of the old recipes. Everything around us seems to take on that nostalgic “retro” motif. Let’s hope candy is next!

• 120. Larry Schnitt  |  March 28, 2013 at 12:29 am

Maybe it’s a matter of economics. Sugar is expensive – much more than corn sweetener, and I sense that it never came out by the new owners because of the price point. They couldn’t cheapen it up because us aficionados, know how it is supposed to taste. I personally liked the Treacle (which has a lovely Molasses flavor and of course the Butterscotch. Companies look for VOLUME today and I suggest that the price point they would have to ask wouldn’t generate the volume they need. It wouldn’t hurt to send them a letter asking how much they would want for the recipes, equipment, and anything else they may have and see if they are willing to sell, and at what price? Including any patents, copyrights, and trademarks they may own. If you get a favorable answer, which I doubt, then you could look for investors. I remember buying them in London many years ago and they were expensive then. I bought several boxes, but alas they have all disappeared – you know where!

• 121. Suzette Stone  |  June 5, 2014 at 2:27 am

Larry, treacle was my all time favourite! I have been looking for it for years and only today found it’s a lost cause as a result of finding this blog. A sad, sad day for all of us Callard & Bowser toffee lovers.

• 122. HeeBee  |  April 23, 2013 at 2:44 am

I remember these candies from the 70s. I bought them at the corner drugstore in the slim, white cigarette style boxes. It felt like such a sophisticated candy for a youngster like me to have. I miss them.

• 123. Bonnie  |  May 6, 2013 at 9:26 pm

I too remember those delightful minty licorice toffees from my childhood in the 1950′s. My mother would buy them occasionally for the whole family to share on road trips….but I never knew what they were called…just knew that I loved the flavor. Didn’t think much more about them for many years…probably 20 years or so. Then one day I asked my mom what “those minty licorice carmel toffee candies were called……she didn’t know what I was talking about…..she probably liked the butterscotch. Loving licorice as I do, I always was buying different brands in search of a good one. One day in the mid 1990′s at Savon Drug Store I found the Callard and Bowser licorice candies all wrapped up in silver papers inside a box. I tried them, and………………I was in heaven…these were them!! I had found that flavor again that I remembered so well from 30 years before. I went back to Savon and bought all they had…….I ate them all in a week. I went back every week for a year or two until one day when they were no longer carrying them. Then found them at Ralph’s once or twice. That was it for another year or two, when I found them again at Savon’s. But this time the box was smaller and different and even the flavor of the candy was off a bit…..something had changed….enough so that I never went back to buy more. Now 20 more years have passed and I wish I could find them again…. Will have to try a couple of other brands that were mentioned above.

SOMEBODY PLEASE MAKE OUR CALLARD AND BOWSER LICORICE CARMELS AGAIN………..PLEASE !!!!!!!!!

• 124. Candy Professor  |  May 9, 2013 at 2:59 pm

I don’t remember the C&B licorice, but I have been enjoying some incredible licorice caramels that my local gourmet shop gets from Germany. Even my licorice-hating daughter loves them. I’ll ask about the source next time I’m there.

• 125. Mon  |  May 9, 2013 at 11:09 pm

Callard & Bowser, an English confection company, used to make small licorice toffee candies that were just magnificent. They were about an inch in size, and a dark green-black color. Sometimes they’d be loose in a cellophane bag, other times you could find them stacked up, about 12 to a slim box about the size of a large cigarette case, each in a striped silver and black wrapper. I could not get enough of them. Although Callard & Bowser’s licorice is long extinct, this is about the closest to the creamy taste of their licorice. If you want a product that’s as close as it gets to Callard and Brower, try Oatfield Irish Licorice Toffee. With Oatfields, while they sometimes can be a little on the hard side, the flavor is dead on. I just got a 4.4 lb bag of Gustaf’s.

• 126. Bonnie  |  May 10, 2013 at 1:33 am

Thank you………I’ll try them. I love licorice. Too bad you never got to try the C&B…they were truly devine!

• 127. Nemo  |  May 7, 2013 at 11:43 pm

I mourn the Butterscotch and the Treacle Brittle. Look at this link to see the original packaging as I remember:

Oh how I wish I could have bid on that display. The candy would be stale, but I’d have tried it anyway.

The Treacle Brittle was in the black package with the red foil wrappers inside. The Butterscotch was in the white package with the silver foils. The licorice was in the silver package. I never bought that flavour, so I don’t remember the foil wrapper colour.

I am hoping to recreate the flavour of the Treacle Brittle by trying this recipe at the BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/foodprogramme_recipe_toffee1.shtml

Wish me luck… :o)

• 128. Robyn  |  July 3, 2013 at 5:32 am

Great News! The original recipe that has changed hands numerous times, is back in the hands of the original owners, and being produced in England in small batches

• 129. Sean  |  July 13, 2013 at 8:21 pm

The black box was treacle and it was my favorite. The rectangles were in rich red foil. Oh how I miss you. :(

• 130. Emily  |  July 16, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Are the butterscotch candies still made?

• 131. Candy Professor  |  July 16, 2013 at 1:44 pm

Sadly no!

• 132. Sarah  |  August 10, 2013 at 9:47 am

The Callard and Bowser butterscotch candies were my Dad’s favorite candies, as well! We used to buy them for him for his birthday and Father’s Day (as kids we didn’t have a lot of money to spend, so we bought him a box of butterscotch candies). He would share them with us occasionally – I would never chew them, only sucked on them for as long as I could to make them last as long as I could! I have been searching every store, wherever I go, for a box of those foil wrapped pieces of heaven but all in vain. I have since turned to the internet, went to the Callard and Bowser website and still couldn’t find them. That is how I happened across your blog. At least with the internet, we can always find another who feels our pain and floats in the same boat. :)

• 133. Susie  |  August 29, 2013 at 7:15 am

Well, I guess I will stop driving everyone crazy. I have been looking for C&B candy for the longest time. Definitely the best!!:(

• 134. francois  |  August 31, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Maybe we could all get together and generate our own recipe and a new candy that would mimic the C&Bs packaging and flavor. I’m a graphic artists and could do the packaging and promotion material. i have friend who would know how to distribute it. So we would need investors, bean counters, a manufacturer, presumably abroad.

• 135. Harpwales  |  September 4, 2013 at 5:25 pm

looking for butterscotch for my 91 year old ma today i discovered Callard and Bowser are no more. a small sweet piece of my life, and not only mine, vanished.

• 136. Carol  |  September 25, 2013 at 12:37 am

I have not read all 131 comments, so perhaps someone mentioned the Treacle Brittle they made. I was my favorite hard candy of all time. It tastes a bit of burned sugar candy. I have tried for years to explain it to people. Today, I began my journey and found the real name. But I also found that a similar candy is popular on Bonfire Night in England, around Nov. 5th. A black treacle candy that is basically a hard candy, sometimes a bit softer, so that it sticks to your teeth. I got a lot of recipes to try from the Net! :-)

• 137. Joyce Anderson  |  September 25, 2013 at 7:54 pm

I too miss the wonderful butterscotch candies. In Amsterdam last year, I bought Babbelaars butterscotch candies in a tin!! They have a site where you can purchase these yummy candies. They are about $8 a pound + shipping. I have not ordered any yet, but will be in Amsterdam next week and will stock up!!!

• 138. Barry Pearson  |  September 25, 2013 at 11:10 pm

Joyce,

After your visit to the Netherlands again, please forward
      us an web site address for Babbelaars. Sincerely,
      Barry Pearson

• 139. joyce  |  September 26, 2013 at 10:17 am

Just look up Babbelaars on line!! All info how to order is right there. The tin does not have a web site address on it. Amsterdam is a short layover, so I am just hoping to go to the candy store at the airport. These candies are really good!!!

• 140. R Graves  |  September 28, 2013 at 9:01 am

Joyce, While you are at it, see if they also have treacle and licorice. :-) we so miss those two candies as we’ll from C & B!

• 141. Cornelius Maass  |  October 1, 2013 at 3:56 pm

Hi, I am from South Africa and I found an old crate in the barn(about 1mx1mx1m). On it is stamped the following:
    Callard & Bowser, Trade Mark (sunrise emblem) Registered, Butterscotch Makers, London, Eng,
    If anyone wants a photo you can email me at cmaass@vodamail.co.za.

• 142. Cricket  |  November 12, 2013 at 5:08 pm

On a summer vacation in Canada, I happened upon the Callard/Browser licorice toffee. I was immediately hooked and have been looking for the licorice toffee for years. Sad to know the company was sold with no plans to carry on producing the tasty and very popular toffees. It is said that trends come around every 20 years. It would be nice if the Callard/Browser toffees could be resurrected along with Honey Buns.

• 143. Pauly Wally Pasqually  |  November 26, 2013 at 9:03 pm

I think the people to contact then, to petition the return of these stellar bon bons would be Mondelez International. The company seems to have taken the confectionary side of Kraft Foods, after the company demerged into Kraft Foods Group Inc. and Mondelez International. Here’s the mailing address from the Mondelez site:

Mondelēz International, Inc.,
    Consumer Relations
    100 Deforest Avenue
    East Hanover, NJ 07936
    1-855-535-5648

On Wikipedia, it says “According to Wrigley, only the Altoids and LifeSaver brands were acquired in the 2004 acquisition.”

I’m too young to have tasted these toffes in my lifetime, and I’m not a huge butterscotch or toffee fan, but I want to give the benefit of the doubt. That I haven’t had the best there was to offer.

• 144. Ken from Chicago  |  December 17, 2013 at 9:40 am

This candy was delicious fresh, but was also good when stale. The soft topping, so to speak, that would form on the piece gave a new chewy taste dimension to the treat. Heavenly either way.

• 145. Anthony Puleo  |  January 20, 2014 at 8:52 pm

I also rue the passing of the finest butterscotch ever. I “discovered” CB when I was an officer candidate. There were many times the throat became sore from “issuing” orders. Callard and Bowser was the only thing that would provide relief. It really soothed the throat. It also had a comforting quality. I always had several packs tucked away and one at the ready. I wish someone would revive the line.

• 146. OrugTor  |  January 24, 2014 at 1:07 pm

Thank you for the information, sad though it be.
    Interesting to see all the father-son stories associated with the product. My best C & B butterscotch memory is a holiday in Cornwall, just me and my dad. Our family was not poor but Dad was pretty tight with money. On holiday he opened up a bit and butterscotch was a treat I could wheedle out of him. That holiday was also memorable for sinking the rental boat – but that’s another story.

• 147. LB Fresh  |  January 24, 2014 at 10:46 pm

2 weeks ago I began my search for all that is British candy when I remembered HOW LONG it has been since I’ve had my favorite butterscotch candy…..it’s been almost 20 years since the store at which II always found it changed ownership….in a suburb of New York….on my way to school…..SO GLAD I now see it was Callard and Bowser! But, it’s gone?? No other candy ever looked, tasted or filled my mouth like those smooth pieces of Callard and Bowser butterscotch!

• 148. Ken Torrens  |  February 13, 2014 at 7:23 pm

Seriously, doesn’t somebody have the recipe? Hard candy just came up in conversation and I spoke about my favorite as a kid as I really don’t eat any now. They had no idea what I was talking about, Callard & Bowser’s Butterscotch. Then of course wondered where I might get some, import it if necessary, only to find out its long gone. How sad! It was the most scrumptious hard candy delight I ever had or could imagine. I really just thought it was an English thing, cause it was tough to find even in the 70s, just one little newspaper shop in my town on Long Island had it. Now that I think about it, they also had Smith’s cherry cough drops – so I was like this weird teenager with these absolutely unique unusual candy/confection propensities.

• 149. Rico  |  March 1, 2014 at 2:53 pm

I asked my wife one evening last week, “Dear, what was the name of that caramel (my error) cany that I liked so much, when we newly married?” She could not think of the name, but she remembered it well. Three days later it came to me, while sitting in my Spanish class (of all places.) Once tried, there is no going back, or, at least that is how tastes hit me. Now I learn the the sad truth. It is gone . . probably for all time. There to join such favorites as Schweppes Bitter Lemon (now, made in Russia . . but just not the same.) For me that was the only mixer to have gin with. At least I got to introduce my grandchildren to the best potato chips (Ma Shearer’s). When offered chips, their first qyestion is, “Are they Ohio chips?”

• 150. peonybloomer pf  |  April 9, 2014 at 4:56 pm

It was nice to read other peoples stories on these candies. Really beautiful.

Back in the really early 2000s, my pops would always buy CB Licorice toffee every week in our once a week shopping trip, after he came home from work and ate dinner! I always remembered going to Ralph’s (Redondo Beach, CA), and I’d go with him to the candy aisle and lo and behold the amazing boxes of licorice toffee.
    You would think a young kid would not like such treats, but they were amazing… amazing.
    I’ll be making a recipe soon of them, but that doesn’t change the fact that the real ones aren’t being made anymore, and that they need to be reintroduced! I’d buy 10 boxes in a heartbeat.

• 151. Jim Figaniak  |  April 9, 2014 at 8:00 pm

If you create a reciepe please share. If I could find them I’d buy at least 10 boxes ea of the licorice & butterscotch.Back in 1970 in Philadelphia you could buy them for 75 cts a pack,

• 152. Barbara Hamby  |  May 6, 2014 at 7:10 pm

I remember the C&B butterscotch and spending my allowance to buy it.for.my Daddy. We shared them with him. Unwrapping the foil was almost as good as the candy. My Dad died 25+ yrs ago but its still a wonderful memory. Ive been wondering about it forever. Thanks!

• 153. peonybloomer pf  |  April 9, 2014 at 5:01 pm

the box i was used to was this look:

• 154. David Janneh  |  May 11, 2014 at 5:34 pm

Yes I grew up with CB Butterscotch so does it mean no other company does Butterscotch?

• 155. Siva  |  May 25, 2014 at 1:21 pm

I haven’t seen Callard & Bowser since about 1998, when I tasted Dessert Nougat (my favourite) for the last time. It appears to have been discontinued c.2005. Liquorice, Treacle and Butterscotch were not easily available even in 1998 – I think the Dessert Nougat was a seasonal item, usually stocked around Christmas.

• 156. kimheath10  |  June 19, 2014 at 9:05 am

Thanks for the posting of this. I was first introduced to this wonderful candy in Texas. Have not had any in over 30 years. I have been telling my kids about the most wonderful butterscotch candies in the world. So sad they will never experience them and I will never have them again.

I agree with the earlier post, if the owner of the previous CB company could read all these post they would know what a money maker they have if they would only re-introduce these wonderful candies.

• 157. kimheath10  |  June 19, 2014 at 9:11 am

I have decided to contact Mars and ask them to consider the re-making of this wonderful delight :)

• 158. Robert Lee  |  October 10, 2014 at 12:50 pm

Any response from Mars?

• 159. csnyder23  |  July 3, 2014 at 9:35 pm

I searched English toffee and found this article. Sadden to hear this. I was eating ice cream with Heath bar filling today with my son. My memories flooded back to 1975 I think. My grandparents lived in Winnipeg Manitoba. After visiting them I was given the most sophisticated little box of candies. It was like a Canadian cigarette box the folded open and had the best butterscotch candy I have ever eating. Never remember the name until today. So is it true I cannot buy this anymore?

• 160. Bukky  |  July 20, 2014 at 5:49 am

For around 35 year, I have been looking for the Callard & Bowser butterscotch which is rectangular in shape with a white velvety covering which are also edible. Where can I get it? Has the chocolate name changed during the sale of the company? Please assist.

• 161. Tallulah  |  July 23, 2014 at 2:29 pm

I agree no one and I mean no one makes Butterscotch like Callard and Bowser did. How ever hard I’ve tried none comes close and I feel sad. My mother who now has dementia used to love this and I would always buy her some when I could. If only we could share that taste together one more time.

• 162. anna  |  November 1, 2014 at 12:44 pm

trying to find collard and bowser butterscotch, ex boyfriend bought it for me in the early sixties. a cinema treat. have never found anything to compare it

• 163. David Janneh  |  November 6, 2014 at 7:47 pm

Yes Anna those were the days My mouth goes watery whenever I think about Callard and Bowser Butterscotch am told its was an American Company, does anyone knows if its sold in America still.