Candy: A Century of Panic and Pleasure

March 29, 2013 at 3:36 pm 5 comments

image

We have a title! CANDY: A Century of Panic and Pleasure

Coming in October 2013, published by Faber and Faber.

And here’s a description:

Many adults who wouldn’t dream of indulging in a Snickers bar of jelly beans feel fine snacking on sports bars and giving their children fruit snacks. For most Americans, candy is enjoyed guiltily and considered the most unhealthy thing we eat. But why? Candy accounts for only a small portion of the added sugar in the American diet. And at least it’s honest about what it is—a processed food, eaten for pleasure, with no particular nutritional benefit. What should really worry consumers is the fact that today every aisle in the supermarket contains highly manipulated products that have all the qualities of candy. So how did our definitions of food and candy come to be so muddled?

CANDY tells the strange, fascinating story of how candy evolved in America and how it became a scapegoat for all our fears about the changing nature of food. Samira Kawash takes us from the moral crusaders at the turn of the century, who blamed candy for everything from poisoning to alcoholism to sexual depravity to dread diseases; to the reason why the government made candy an essential part of rations during World War I (and how the troops came back craving it like never before); to current worries about hyperactivity, cavities, and obesity.

CANDY is an essential, addictive read for anyone who loves lively cultural history, who cares about food, and who wouldn’t mind feeling a bit better about eating candy.

Entry filed under: Uncategorized.

Is Snapsy a Spy? What’s in Your Easter Basket?

• 1. David Klein  |  March 29, 2013 at 4:12 pm

Professor—that is a fantastic title… How can I buy an autographed copy? MY BEST

• 2. Barbara  |  March 29, 2013 at 10:20 pm

Love the cover!!

• 3. Steve Schmidt  |  April 2, 2013 at 4:47 pm

Congratulations, Samira! I think the title is terrific and I’m very much looking forward to reading the book!

• 4. candyobserver  |  July 2, 2013 at 11:04 am

Good, good, good news! Looking forwrd for it!

• 5. candyobserver  |  July 2, 2013 at 11:06 am

I want news about it on october! I expect to buy it online to my conutry! 😛